Friday, March 18, 2011

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Did you know today is Oatmeal Cookie Day? Well, now you do! It’s actually Lacy Oatmeal Cookie day. Oatmeal cookie day is actually 4/30, but the two always get interchanged. I still made oatmeal cookies none the less.

Gary has always had a soft spot for oatmeal raisin cookies. It may as well be both our favorite cookies (although I like most cookies). I was looking at the food section on Yahoo and saw this post come up. I thought it would be a great healthier cookie, and it just so happened that today would be oatmeal cookie day.

I saw that this recipe had milk in it, so I would probably sub the milk for soy. I would also use ghee for the butter, since Gary didn't have a reaction to it like he does milk and butter. Then I had the idea to use the coconut oil and coconut milk I had on hand in my pantry already. I suggested this to Gary, and he thought it sounded good as well. My other sub was making this with these huge plump raisins we had, since raisins ARE his favorite! My cookies didn’t quite spread like the original recipe, probably because my raisins were huge and didn’t allow it to spread too much.

ww oatmeal cookies

It smelled absolute divine while baking, and Gary couldn’t wait to try one. Gary ate one and loved it, then proceeded to grab another one. He thought it had a nice coconut essence to it.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
adapted from: A Bicycle Built for Two

 printable recipe


ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup solid coconut  oil
1 large egg at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup raisins

directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a bowl, mix the whole-wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the brown sugar and granulated sugar together. Next, cream the sugar with the coconut oil until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla and milk and mix until smooth.

Mix the dry mixture into the wet until blended well. Once smooth, stir in the oats and the raisins.

Grease a cookie sheet. Using a tablespoon size cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the sheet and place 2 inches apart.

Bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies (I got 26).

3 comments :

  1. YES! I just bought a jar of coconut oil and am looking for more things to do with it. So excited to try these, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! They're great with coffee too! not like I did that or anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Making these!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!